Neuschwanstein Castle stands above Hohenschwangau near Füssen in the Allgäu. The building was built in 1869 for the Bavarian King Ludwig II. The king only lived in the castle for a few months; he died before the complex was completed. There are many stories about his death. Neuschwanstein was originally called New Hohenschwangau Castle, and has had its current name since 1886.